Saturday, January 12, 2013

Living On Cash

Soooooooooooooooooooooo

I mentioned that we were simplifying our life. One way is by living on cash. Yup. While I actually would love to take the Dave Ramsey class, it doesn't fit into over overscheduled schedule at the moment. So we are just seeing out this goes. Well- we are trying it for one month anyway.

In an effort to save more money, we are trying to see how it will go by budgeting for everything (food, entertainment, eating out etc.) ahead and when the money runs out- it runs out. This may mean having to say no to a lunch or dinner on the town. Or to other exciting things. But, I am going to need a new car soon as my beloved Toyota has 106K on it and we want other things in life too... I feel like I needed to take control and stay ahead of the curve. So why not try it. Why not save more for the important things?

So I will tell you about our cash only journey. So far it has been eye opening. Our 'Miscellaneous' fund went rather quickly- we only have $20 left for the week. After ballet garb, new jeans, shoes and stuff for Patrick...well- yeah. Money goes fast. (calories come on fast and time also go fast. Why is this?!?!?) We have $10 for entertainment and $20 for eating out.

Today I went to Costco and had $60 to spend- and I spent $57. Yay! They were out of rotisserie chicken and I still have to buy one for the week...so that actually puts me $2 over budget. Hmmm...I guess that is a fail then. I will have to pull from eating out, so that leaves $18 for eating out. Chic-fil-a on Tuesday night when Kids Eat Free perhaps????

I meal planned for two weeks (dinners) and still have two meals to cook, I cooked one tonight. We do leftovers and I have some 'quick' things like tuna melts, soup and grilled cheese- that kind of thing at least one night. So we are totally good there.

Of course couponing helps a ton. I think I saved $60 at Target last week and I already started my list and coupons. The only thing about couponing is that sometimes you buy for the future when you have great coupons and there is a sale. For instance Patrick will need deodorant soon since he reeks without it and all, and I have two coupons to use when you buy two and it's on sale, so it will be $4 for two. But does he NEED two right now? No. But WILL he? Yes. And WILL I be saving money buying them when they are on sale with two coupons? Yes. But when you only have X amount of dollars to spend for two weeks on food and household stuff, you start to think about it all differently. Ah!

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment