Sunday, August 26, 2012

It's Suuuuuuuuuuuunday

And you know what that means! Church? Sometimes. Zumba? Probably. The new work/study combo pack? Well now that's a yes, buuuuuuuut- what Sunday REALLY is all about these days is COUPON INSERTS!

Okay- so I am not the worlds most greatest expert on couponing. Remember I am a jack of many things (not going to say ALL) but not a tremendous expert. I'm definitely not an extreme couponer- but I am getting into it and would love to know what you couponers do- and I'll share how I have been doing it. I am somewhat new to the force- so you can too join the madness. Here goes:

Step One: Buy a paper. Or two.

Step Two: Get a Binder. Organize by date of the inserts. I label each clear plastic thing with a sticky note of the date the insert came out.

Step Three: This is what I have been doing. I basically just shop at Target. Here's why~ At Target, you can use one Target coupon (known as a TQ in the coupon blogger sphere) and one manufacturer coupon per item. So that's two coupons for one item. (1+1=2. Woo.Go me with math skills) Also- Target often has $5 gift card deals with certain purchases. Plus it just keeps it easy to stick to one store. And there is a kick butt website called

www.totallytarget.com

This woman rocks. She updates her site several times a day and lets you know what deals they have, what match ups (using the TQ and MQ's together) and what items have the gift card deal attached and where you can find coupons for those items. Sometimes the items are even MM's (money makers) She will tell you where to find coupons, and give you links to any online ones for the item she is discussing. There is some coupon lingo you will learn, but it's pretty easy to pick up. This is why you have the binder organized by insert date since this is how the bloggers talk about where to find the coupons. Okay so back to what I've been doing.

Step 4: Check the blog a few times a day. Cut/print coupons for the items you are interested in. DON'T GO SCISSOR HAPPY: you need to be careful not to just buy something because you have a coupon for it. Think about the things you use/eat- think about stocking up but only for about 3 months worth. Don't go crazy with 250 deodorants and a weird stockpile in your basement of aspirin and eye drops.


Step 5: Make a list as you print/cut and put coupons for your week trip in a special envelope. Make your list SUPER specific with the amount you need to buy and the exact name of the product so you grab the right thing on your shopping trip.

Add other items you need to your list and then go to a coupon database and search for these products to see if there is a coupon somewhere that matches the other things you need. I like:

http://thefrugalgirls.com/


Step 6: Open a Target Red Card. It does not have to be a credit card, it can link to you bank account/be a debit card. You will save 5% on your purchases, get extra coupons printed at the register (Catalinas) and be one cool cat.

Also- fill prescriptions at Target. You will get special coupons mailed to you by snail mail, and get on lists that you can't register for. Or get your kids pictures taken- stuff like that. Eat, sleep and breathe Target and you shall receive.

Register for mobile coupons. (they come once a week to your phone)  you can do that at:

Step 7: Buy stuff that has the $5 gift card offer attached. I am saving my $5 gift cards and will use them at Christmas. It's kind of a sickness. So far I have $120 in free gift cards I got just for buying stuff I use/need. I try to buy one grouping of items a week with the $5 attached. You can use them right then and there and get $5 off your total purchase if you so desire as well.


Step 8: Go shopping at night when it is less crowded (if you have a lot of coupons) I also like to tell anyone that gets in line that I may be a pain in the butt because I have a lot of coupons. Ignore anyone who sighs deeply or rolls their eyes. Soon you will have people asking you how you got your coupons.

Step 9: Give the cashier your coupons one at a time and make sure each one goes through. I know, I know- but trust me. The registers are weird, and anyway it's easier one at a time. NOTE: the P&G coupons ding a lot. You may have to physically prove you got the right item.

Step 10: Check your receipt to make sure they didn't double charge you on an item you only bought one of. This has been happening lately for some reason.

Step 11: Smile and look at your receipt at how much you saved.

Step 12: Take advantage of any save your receipt and get more coupon deals or MIRs.

Let me know if you have any tips! Happy couponing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment